Saturday, November 13, 2010

Day 2....

Friday morning came early.  0250 wakeup to make sure I wasn't late for 0350 formation.  We were to begin our Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) at 0415.  Once again, the efficiency of this big green machine didn't fail to impress.  Instructions for the PT test began at 0405, and the test began at 0415 exactly.  This test entails three things:  number of push-ups in two minutes, number of sit-ups in two minutes, and a timed two mile run, all performed to the Army's rigid standards, of course.  The Army decides how many of repititions of each exercise that one must complete based on age, so of course my number isn't as high as the young bucks coming straight out of college ROTC or Officer Candidate School.  My minimum number of push-ups to complete is 34, sit-ups are 38, and the two mile run is 18:18.  Minimums are 60% of the max score, and in order to qualify for any honor graduate position at the end of the course, you must maintain a 75% in each category.  I was above 75% in each, so I'm still in the running, although we won't get into the academic portion of the course for another 3 weeks! 

After the test, we had to pass height/weight standards, which in the Army are ridiculous, but nonetheless.....I passed.  Then off to shower, shave, and breakfast.  Our next formation wast to be at 0820 for some mandatory briefings for the rest of the morning.  Since I hadn't eaten much in a week in order to pass the height/weight standards, I had a breakfast consisting of biscuits and gravy, sausage, eggs, and hash browns.  It was absolutely delicious!  I feel with the amount of PT in my future, I can afford to consume a few extra calories. 


When we formed up at 0820 for our briefings, it was a very beautiful 70 degrees here in Lawton, OK.  During the briefings, I kept hearing distant booms, which I took for a 105 Howitzer flexing its muscles downrange.  Was I wrong...  We opened the doors on the way out to finish up our medical requirements (more shots, more immunizations, optical, dental, and hearing tests), and it was 50 degrees and thunderstorming with a 15 mph wind.  Holy hell it was cold! 


Needless to say, we had to stand out in the cold under an awning to receive our medical briefing, and to make it worse, we had a civilian dress day, where you pay $5 to dress in civilian clothes in order to benefit the BDE Family Readiness Group, and most of us were wearing jeans and t-shirts.  Note to self....always keep a jacket in your backpack at Ft. Sill. 


I completed the medical requirements quickly since my Guard unit had me squared away with all of my documentation (thank you 39th), and got some lunch.  We then had a little down time until a 1550 briefing on filling out Leave/Pass forms, and then our weekend Commander's Safety Briefing.  After being released, I noticed that my front tire on my car was low, so I spent an hour looking for a place to fix it.  I ended up buying a plug kit for the tiny little screw poking out of my tire.  



I spent Friday night in my room playing Call of Duty: Black Ops and drinking an Dos Equis to go with my Mexican themed dinner.....two beef and bean Patio burritos.  All of this because for the second day, we were let out of class too late to make it to the Dining Facility. 


It's Saturday morning, and time to settle in for some ESPN College Gameday......right after I go plug my tire on my truck. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're easing right in! Excellent work on the PT, height/weight passes! We'll have to send you some canned food with a little nutritional value to stash so you can have it when you miss chow. Also some juices with a little Vitamin C. Patio burritos -- egad. That's nearly as bad as gas station hamburgers.

    Hope you and your buddies enjoy College Gameday (it's actually a pretty boring football weekend from my perspective -- UA/UTEP, LSU/ULM, and Saints bye. *Sigh*) DON'T MISS CHOW!

    ReplyDelete