Sunday, November 28, 2010

Can you say Sugar Bowl?

I'm sitting here watching the latest BCS rankings come in on ESPN, and I see my Hogs at number 7 after the ass kicking we doled out to the Kitty Ca...errrr, Tigers on Saturday.  It causes me to reflect on the past 4 days, where I saw family, friends, and all of our animals.  What a great Thanksgiving weekend.  I don't think I could have asked for a more action packed visit to Little Rock.  I got home late Wednesday night, and woke up only to get ready for Thanksgiving festivities.  I got to hang with my cousins and aunts/uncles for the day, and had a nice time watching the Cowboys lose to the Saints (Who Dat?).  Any day that the Cowboys drop a game is a very good day.  After the game, I took my boys with their grandfather to see the new Harry Potter flick, which was excellent! 

Friday started early with a trip to the grocery store to buy gumbo fixins for a wedding shower we were throwing that evening for Tom and Betsy.  Their wedding is on January 1st, and this seemed to be the only weekend between now and then that we could squeeze in a party.  After spending a couple of hours on the roux, we had the gumbo bubbling in the pot, so we turned on the Auburn/Alabama game.  Awesome game, as the Hogs needed for Auburn to win so that we kept our BCS hopes alive with a win over LSU. 

After the Auburn win, we got ready and headed to my mom's for Tom and Betsy's shower.  Great evening, and fun was had by everyone, but alas, we had to cut it fairly short so we could all rest up for the big day on Saturday. 

Up at 5am on Saturday to get ready for the Arkansas/LSU tailgate at War Memorial Golf Course.  I'll have to say that this tailgate was probably the best one we have put together in the last 10 years. 

Thanks guys, for making it a blast.  Great food, great people, and the Hogs playing in Little Rock.  A difficult combination to beat.  I took Will to the game, and we stayed until half so that we could come back and finish watching with everyone at the tailgate.  The Hogs kicked the hell out of the little kitties......virtually assuring us a spot in the Sugar Bowl, so long as Auburn takes care of business against South Carolina next week. 

Got up Sunday and helped put the Christmas Tree up with the family, only to realize that the time had come to head back west to where the wind comes sweeping o'er the plain.  Hello Fort Sill! 

We leave tomorrow morning at 0530 for FOB (Forward Operating Base) week.  We will be conducting weapons grouping, zeroing, and qualification with the M4 rifle.  We are staying in the field all week, so the only way I will be able to update my blog is through my phone.  Expect very short entries, if any at all.  I will catch everyone up next weekend when I return. 

Until then......I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Weekend! 

And Porter, sorry I missed the party Saturday night.  By the time I left from cleaning up the tailgate, I didn't have time to get home to change, and Helen vetoed the idea of me coming in my jeans and hoodie!  Happy Birthday, regardless! 

Paulson out....

1 comment:

  1. It was great to have you back in LR even though the weekend was action packed. I feel so good after seeing you and maybe seeing a little different Steve- that is for the good, not that you weren't before. You face showed how happy you are in this new career path you have chosen to take. I think you took the right fork in the road! I am so proud of you and hope you have a great birthday this week. Sorry we won't be able to see you, but Christmas isn't that far away! Love you and very proud of you! Mom

    ReplyDelete