Thursday, November 11, 2010

BOLC Beginnings


View from my room, 5th Floor, Allin Hall


I drove from Little Rock to Lawton, OK on Tuesday morning, arriving around 1345 to the Ft. Sill Welcome center.  I had apparently forgotten about the efficiency of the United States Army when it comes to in-processing a soldier into Active Duty status!  I immediately used the kiosk to generate a number, and waited for 15 minutes to reach my first station, which was actually called In-Processing.  They made sure I was assigned to Active Duty, and then changed my unit affiliation to B-Battery, 1-30th FA.  A few more stations to make sure my ID Card was updated, my vehicle was registered, and my finances were in order, and I was out of there in just under 2 hours.  Now to move in to my new home!  I checked into Allin Hall and situated my belonging, and went to bed.  

Day 2 was fairly uneventful, with most of it occupied by updating medical and dental records, receiving vaccines, and listening to in-briefs from various departments, to include the Battalion Commander.  Class leadership told us to enjoy our day off on Thursday, and that our next time hack was to be 0330 Friday morning for our Diagnostic Army Physical Fitness Test.  Ugh......

I now sit here on this cloudy Veteran's Day in my room, thinking about the sacrifices that have been made by the men and women of our Armed Forces.  God Bless them.  I am off to get the lay of the land, on and off post, since I won't have much time over the next few weeks, as we begin our Common Core phase of training (first 16 days), consisting of Marksmanship, Land Navigation, Convoy Operations, and Combatives training.  I don't expect to get much sleep.  

Again....Happy Veteran's Day to all who have served and will serve in the future.  

Paulson, Out.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're pretty squared away and ready to go!

    As your Dad would say -- sleep? Sleep's overrated! You can sleep when you're dead!

    Me? I kinda like sleep. :-P

    Hope you get enough! How's the chow? Don't forget to try to check in daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a guardsman, chow is free, and that is all that matters. We were done too late for dinner last night, and since we were off today, I didn't make it down for breakfast (had a banana). I will be eating at the DFAC this evening. I will let you know how it is.

    ReplyDelete